The Social Studies Department believes in educating young men to use history as a context for understanding the present and the future. A disciplined and comprehensive approach to historical interpretation as well as current events will help develop in DeSales students a better sense of citizenship and responsibility to the United States and to the global community.
The goals of the Social Studies Department include assisting students to:
- Utilize the basic knowledge of the social sciences in order to understand and respect the interrelationships of human events, behaviors, beliefs and accomplishments of the past and present.
- Research, analyze and process information about the political, economic, cultural, and environmental aspects of societies of the past, present and future.
- Use a variety of thinking skills to make informed and rational decisions for the public good as citizens of a culturally diverse, democratic society within the context of a global community.
- Demonstrate and evaluate personal beliefs and attitudes based on his awareness of a variety of belief systems in our pluralistic, global community.
- Apply the knowledge and skills necessary for responsible, active participation in our democratic society, and in social or work groups.